Scandinavia 2019 Day 5: Reykjavik, Iceland

DAY 5: 30 NOV 2019
Hallgrimskirkja
Unfortunately, this was our last day in Iceland.
We planned to explore Reykjavik today as we didn't get a chance to do so with all
the tours packed day after day.
Our hotel offers free breakfast every morning from 0730 to 1030 in the main building.
I must say all the hotel breakfasts that we had on this trip were of high quality and really fantastic!
Our hotel served rye bread, assorted ham & cheese and even pancakes.

Breakfast set up at Hotel Leifur Eiriksson
Slices of watermelon in Iceland
There were slices of watermelon and melon at the breakfast table.
I was really surprised to see bananas, a common tropical fruit, laid at the table too.
However, it was my first time seeing the bananas cut into pieces with the skin still attached.
Anyway I do not eat bananas, so I couldn't be bothered.

After breakfast, we left to visit the church!
The church doors open at 0900 that day.
It was also a Saturday and there was a church choir rehearsing when we visited.




Pipe organ at the back of the church
Admission to the church is free.
If you would like to go up to the viewing point, you will need to pay a fee of 1,000 isk.
It was a gloomy day and we decided against it.
Instead, we made our way to the famous Sun Voyager which was a 10 minutes walk from the church.
The paths to the Sun Voyager were really icy.
The roads are heated and you may choose to walk on the road with caution if you
have great difficulty walking on the icy pavements.



Sun Voyager
There were mountains in the background which made the surroundings scenic.
There wasn't much to do at the Sun Voyager and we headed to the famous
shopping street: Laugavegur!

Peeking into a candy store




There were a lot of interesting stores located along the shopping streets.
Not forgetting the many gift shops we passed along the stretch.
I really wanted to get an Iceland made beanie and the design that I wanted
was on sale at one of the gift shops.
So, I got it at 990 isk instead of the usual price of 2,000 isk.

It started to rain and we decided to seek shelter at a crepe shop we spotted on our first night!





The cheapest crepe on the menu was 2,000 isk if I am not mistaken.
You could create a personalised crepe from scratch, but I was just too lazy to do so.
The crepe I chose was surprisingly good despite being one of the most basic crepe.
I forgot that it had bananas in it, so I picked them out and my mum finished them (:


It was drizzling when we were done eating and we continued shopping!
Oh yes, we didn't bring an umbrella for our entire trip as it will be useless against the strong winds.
So all of our outer clothing, shoes and bags are waterproof!
The only downside to this is that my phone gets wet when I had to navigate around.

Lamb street food was where we filled our tummies!
This place is famous for their lamb wraps.
I ordered the blacksheep and leadersheep which costs 1,990 isk each.


I watched them make the wraps and I was shocked at the amount of lamb meat
they use in each wrap.
The portion was humongous!
Somehow they managed to squeeze it all in.
The wraps stuffed me up so much that I couldn't eat anything during dinnertime!
In terms of the taste, they are definitely one of the nicest wraps I ate!
If I had to choose, I would prefer blacksheep over leadersheep as
I love hummus!

After lunch, we headed to the nearby Bonus and Kronan supermarkets.
We bought so many chocolates as gifts since even the cheapest European chocolates never fail.
I also bought a bottle of Appelsin since it was my last day in Iceland.



We stopped by Icelandic Street Food on our way back to the main shopping street.
We ordered takeouts of their seafood soup and lamb soup at 1,690 isk each for dinner.
The staff was really nice as she recommended us to dine in to get a free refill.
However, we were really full and needed to turn in early for our flight tomorrow morning.


As I am typing this, I really miss Iceland.
The locals are so friendly and we felt extremely safe during our stay there.
I will definitely be back for a summer adventure in future!

That's it for our day 5 adventures!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Click here for our Day 6 adventures
or retrace our steps here for our Day 4 adventures!
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments