NZ 2023 Day 7: Wanaka

  DAY 7: 30 NOV 2023

Roy's Peak

We woke up at 5am this morning to hike Roy's Peak!
Roy's Peak is a 16 km return hike and the hike climbs 1,258 metres to the summit.
The return hike takes about 6 hours.

View of Roy's Peak from our balcony (mountain on the left)

Before leaving, we packed our bags, had our breakfast and put on sunblock!
I wore a cropped tee, leggings, Northface jacket and a cap.
As I have knee issues, I wore a pair of knee guards and brought along my dad's hiking pole.

View from the track carpark

There were many cars parked when we arrived at the carpark.
These hikers were there to see the sunrise at Roy's Peak.
We paid a small fee of 2 NZD before commencing our hike.
Steep slopes were waiting for us at the start of our hike.


About 5 minutes into our hike, I realised that I left the bluetooth phone controller in the car.
So, Zhi Sheng returned back to the car to retrieve it while I admire the scenery as the sun rose.
I also got to catch my breath before continuing our climb up steep slopes.


Apart from hikers, there were many sheeps accompanying us throughout our hike.



The climb was exhausting and I tried my best to regulate my breathing at all times.
Although I was looking at the ground while climbing, I took time to enjoy the gorgeous scenery during our breaks.
About 2 hours into our hike, the fatigue kicked in.
My legs were not mine anymore and my breathing went awry.
Thereafter, we took slightly more breaks to regulate my breathing and re-energise with food and water.

Roy's Peak Viewpoint

After about 2.5 hours, we finally reached the Instagram famous viewpoint!
Zhi Sheng actually checked Google Maps when we were 15 minutes away from the viewpoint and shared that we were indeed almost there.
I didn't believe him at first haha.
To my relief, we were really almost there.

Zhi Sheng at the viewpoint

Unfortunately, the viewpoint was about to be covered in clouds when we arrived.
We quickly took photos and videos before the view ahead of us disappeared in the clouds.


We got to enjoy the views on the left for a longer time before the clouds came.



I was contented to stop at the viewpoint because I had no energy to climb further and the summit was probably covered by the clouds too.



We were hoping for the clouds to clear in 30 minutes.
We found a place to rest and have our breakfast.
I packed energy bars and cherries to munch on.
The viewpoint continued to be in the clouds and it was only clearing at noon.
Sadly, we left at 10.15am.


The hike down was less strenuous but slippery at times due to loose rocks.
I also spent more time enjoying the scenery and taking more photos.





After 2.5 hours, we finally returned to the carpark.
There was a moment where I couldn't control my legs and tripped.
It was a blessing that I got up fine.


After 2.5 hours, we finally returned to the carpark.
There was a moment where I couldn't control my legs and tripped.
It was a blessing that I got up fine.

We could only think about freshening up once we entered the car.
As such, we drove back to our apartment to take a warm shower and have our lunch.
We still had some time before our next activity so we took a brief nap!

Wanaka Lavender Farm

The brief nap revitalised us and we proceeded to Wanaka lavender farm.
The farm opens daily and closes at 5pm.
As we visited during the low season, we only paid an admission fee of 7 NZD per pax.

Alpaca
Miniature horses

Highland cow

The lavender farm has farm animals too!
We saw alpacas, cows and kunekune pig.



There were two huge sections of lavender fields.
Most of them only started blooming and it was better to view them up close!


Other than lavenders, there are other flowers too.





The lavender farm was a nice place to unwind and relax after an exhausting hike.

Manuka honey lavender ice cream

To treat ourselves, we bought the manuka honey lavender ice cream at the store!
The store sells various lavender and honey products.
There was even free tastings for four types of honey!

Puzzling world

Another famous experience in Wanaka is Puzzling World.
We popped by to take some photos before driving back to the main shopping area.

Churros with chocolate dip

We had to have one last round of Patagonia Chocolates before leaving Wanaka.
As we already had ice cream, we ordered churros with chocolate dip!
We almost couldn't order because they were about to close the kitchen.

The churros were topped with cinnamon.
They were good but nothing special.


As we had some time to spare before dinner, we took a stroll at a park facing lake Wanaka.

Small plate at Big Fig Wanaka


We decided to have early dinner so that we can have an early rest tonight.
Dinner was at Big Fig and they serve western "economical" rice.
The reviews were really good and I wanted a break from burgers and fish and chips.

However, this wasn't exactly economical though.
A small plate consisting of 1 meat and 3 vegetables or rice costs 16 NZD.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed my meal as the dishes I picked were tasty.

After dinner, we returned to our apartment to do our laundry and get some rest.

And that marks the end of day 7!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Click here for our Day 8 adventures
or retrace our steps here for our Day 6 adventures!
- - - - - - - - - - - - 

Comments